How do I get to Joint Base Charleston from Interstate 26?
Joint Base Charleston, SC is located about 10 miles northwest of the city of Charleston, S.C. JB CHS is between U.S. Interstate 26 and Dorchester Road (S. C. Highway 642). The main gate is located off Dorchester Road; however there is easy access from I-26 via West Aviation Avenue and we prefer you to use this route.
From I-26, exit 211A onto Aviation Avenue. Follow signs to Joint Base Charleston/Charleston Air Force Base, turning right onto Arthur Drive.
Park at the visitor's center at the Arthur Drive security check point. A Public Affairs representative will meet you at the security check point and escort you on base. Please note that there is construction at both Joint Base Charleston gates.
How do I get to Joint Base Charleston from the Charleston International Airport (CHS)?
1) As you leave the airport, you are on International Blvd.
2) Turn right at the 1st traffic light onto Micheaux Blvd.
3) Turn right again at the 1st traffic light onto Dorchester Rd.
4) Go to the 3rd traffic light (not counting the flashing yellow light) and turn right into the main gate which is Hill Blvd.
5) You will go through 1 traffic light and 1 stop sign.
6) Lodging (Bldg 362) is the 2nd building on the left after you go through the stop sign (next door to the Base Clinic)
Click here for online directions
Talking on cell phones while operating a motor vehicle are prohibited while driving on the base.
*Please note: If you do not have authorization to enter the base, you will need to stop at the visitor's center and present your driver's license, registration and proof if insurance.