COLONEL JOHN B. GURRIERI
Colonel John B. Gurrieri is the Commander, 315 Operations Group, Joint Base Charleston, S.C. He is responsible for the command of seven squadrons, staff and equipment necessary to operate/deploy C-17A aircraft for worldwide contingencies on a daily basis. He leads over 500 personnel to train and maintain combat skills in flying, aeromedical evacuation, airlift control flight, life support, and survival training operations.
Colonel Gurrieri previously served as commander of the 317th Airlift Squadron. He separated from active duty and joined the Air Force Reserve in 2003, flying the C-17A Globemaster III with the 300th Airlift Squadron. A command pilot, he has logged thousands of flying hours in the T-37, T-38, C-141, and C-17 aircraft. He has worked two Joint assignments, one as the Transcom Liaison Officer at Central Command (CENTCOM) and Vance AFB, a Joint Pilot Training 3 year assignment. He is a current and qualified evaluator/instructor airdrop C-17 pilot. He holds a multiengine CFII.
1992 B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering, The United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO.
1993 Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus, MS.
1994 T-37 Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph AFB, TX.
1994 T-37 Instructor, Vance AFB, OK.
1997 Master of Business Administration, Phillips University, Enid, OK.
1997 C-141 Initial Qualification/Aircraft Commander Course, Altus AFB, OK.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL, Residence
1999 C-17 Initial Qualification/Aircraft Commander Course, Altus AFB, OK.
2000 C-17 AirDrop Initial Qualification, Altus AFB, OK.
2000 C-17 Instructor Initial Qualification, Altus AFB, OK.
2002 Combat Aircrew Tactics Studies, Mobility Electronic Combat Officer Course
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence.
2016 Air War College, Correspondence.
1. 1993, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, MS.
2. 1994 to 1997, T-37 Examiner-Instructor Pilot, Runway Supervisory Unit Training and Standardization Officer, Wing Standardization and Evaluation Pilot, Assistant Flight Commander, Vance Air Force Base, OK.
3. 1997 to 2001, C-141 Aircraft Commander, C-17 Instructor, McChord Air Force Base, WA.
4. 2001 to 2003, 14th Airlift Squadron Pilot, 437th Tactics Pilot, 437th Wing Examiner Pilot,
5. 2003 to 2017, 300th Airlift Squadron, Chief of Safety, Flight Commander, Assistant Chief Pilot, Assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation,
6. October 2017 to January 2019, 317 Airlift Squadron, Commander, Joint Base Charleston, SC.
7. January 2019 to Present, 315th Operations Group Commander, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 5,800 military hours
Aircraft Flown: T-41, T-37, T-38, C-141, C-17A
MAJOR AWARD AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
AF Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with one device
AF Longevity Service with five devices
Small Arms Expert marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
AF Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Dec, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 2009
Colonel Oct. 2019
(Current as of December 2019)