Colonel Gregory S. Gilmour is the Commander of the 315th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C. He commands over 2,500 reserve personnel who augment the active-duty Air Force's strategic airlift, airdrop and aeromedical evacuation forces in both peacetime and contingency operations. These missions support combat operations and U.S.-sponsored humanitarian relief efforts.
Col. Gilmour began his military career in 1986 as a graduate of The Citadel and Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps. He spent 13 years as a naval aviator, including three shipboard deployments, before joining the Air Force Reserve in 1999. Colonel Gilmour has served tours of duty in the Mediterranean for Operations Desert Shield/Storm, as well as numerous deployments to the Caribbean and Pacific for Counter-Drug Interdiction. He was deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation Northern Watch, and as Commander of the 90th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Incirlik Airbase, Turkey. He is a command pilot with more than 4,000 hours in the C-17, T-34, TH-57 A/C, SH-2F, SH-60B, and the KC-135R/T/RT aircraft.
1986 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, The Citadel, Charleston, S.C.
1993 Masters of Arts in National Security Affairs, Naval Post Graduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2006 Air War College - Correspondence 2010 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education (AJPME)
2014 Director of Mobility Forces (DIRMOBFOR Course)
1. May 1986 - Aug 1986, Served as a member of staff, The Citadel, Charleston, S.C.
2. Aug 1986 - Oct 1986, Student, Aviation Indoctrination, Naval Aviation Schools, NAS, Pensacola, Fla.
3. Oct 1986 - Jun 1987, T-34C Student Pilot, VT-3, NAS Whiting Field, Milton, Fla.
4. Jun 1987 - Jan 1988, TH-57B/C Student Pilot, HT-18, NAS Whiting Field, Milton, Fla.
5. Jan 1988 - Aug 1988, SH-2F Student Pilot, HSL-30, NAS, Norfolk, Va.
6. Aug 1988 - May 1991, Maintenance Officer flying SH-2Fs, Asst. Det. OIC, deployed for Desert Shield USS Paul (FF1080)
7. May 1991 - Jun 1993, Student, Naval Post Graduate School, Monterey, Calif.
8. Jun 1993 - Mar 1994, SH-60B, Student Pilot, HSL-40, NAS, Mayport, Fla.
9. Mar 1994 - Feb 1997, Administration Dept. Head HSL-42, Asst. OIC, Det. 9, deployed to Mediterranean on USS Normandy (CG-60)
10. Feb 1997 - Aug 1999, HSL-46, Det. 9 OIC, Weapons & Tactics Dept. Head, deployed on USS Ticonderoga (CG-47)
11. Sep 1999 - Sep 2002, Chief of Scheduling, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
12. Sep 2002 - Sep 2004, Asst. Operations Officer, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
13. Sep 2004 - May 2008, Operations Officer, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan. (90th EARS/CC Incirlik, Turkey)
14. May 2008 - Aug 2012, Commander, 507th Operations Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. Sep 2012- April 2015, Commander, 916th Air Refueling Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
16. April 2015 - present, Commander, 315th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
Rating: Command Pilot Flight Hours: 4,000+
Aircraft Flown: C-17, T-34, TH-57 A/C, SH-2F, SH-60B, KC-135 R/T/RT
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit Meritorious Service Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Air Force Commendation Medal
Commendation Medal Navy Commendation Medal with 2 Gold Stars
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 3 oak leaf clusters
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation with 2 Bronze Stars
Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendation with Operational 'O' Device
Combat Readiness Medal with 4 oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with "N" device, 2 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Medal with Gold Border
Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with 2 Bronze Stars
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service Medal with 5 oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' device
Air Force Training Ribbon
NATO Medal Nato Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Ensign May 1986
Lieutenant (Jr. Grade) May 1988
Lieutenant May 1990
Lt. Commander Feb 1996
Major Sep 1999
Lt. Colonel Sep 2003
Colonel Mar 2008