frequently asked Questions

Collapse All Expand All

Does Joint Base Charleston provide tours to the public?

The 437th Airlift Wing, the host unit on Joint Base Charleston, and the 315th Airlift Wing, an Air Force Reserve Command (tenant unit), offer tours to specific groups, including College ROTC, Junior ROTC and Civic Leader groups. Tours are specially designed for the group visiting the base. Groups interested in touring the base should contact the 628th Public Affairs  at (843) 963-5582 or via email at or 315th Airlift Wing Public Affairs at (843) 963-2036 or via email at

How do I get to Joint Base Charleston from Interstate 26?

Joint Base Charleston, SC is located about 10 miles northwest of the city of Charleston, S.C. JB CHS is between U.S. Interstate 26 and Dorchester Road (S. C. Highway 642). The main gate is located off Dorchester Road; however there is easy access from I-26 via West Aviation Avenue and we prefer you to use this route.

From I-26, exit 211A onto Aviation Avenue. Follow signs to Joint Base Charleston/Charleston Air Force Base, turning right onto Arthur Drive.

Park at the visitor's center at the Arthur Drive security check point. A Public Affairs representative will meet you at the security check point and escort you on base. Please note that there is construction at both Joint Base Charleston gates.

How do I get to Joint Base Charleston from the Charleston International Airport (CHS)?

1) As you leave the airport, you are on International Blvd.

2) Turn right at the 1st traffic light onto Micheaux Blvd.

3) Turn right again at the 1st traffic light onto Dorchester Rd.

4) Go to the 3rd traffic light (not counting the flashing yellow light) and turn right into the main gate which is Hill Blvd.

5) You will go through 1 traffic light and 1 stop sign.

6) Lodging (Bldg 362) is the 2nd building on the left after you go through the stop sign (next door to the Base Clinic)

Click HERE for online directions


Talking on cell phones while operating a motor vehicle are prohibited while driving on the base.

*Please note: If you do not have authorization to enter the base, you will need to stop at the visitor's center and present your driver's license, registration and proof if insurance.

How do I resolve an employment issue?

Inform your unit/military chain of command or the 315th Public Affairs at (843) 963-2035.

Contact ESGR at or call 1-800-336-4590 option 1 for further assistance.

You may consult a private attorney (at own expense, may preclude ESGR assistance) .

What rights are protected?

Military leave of absence (includes weekend drills, required training, all involuntary service and up to five years of voluntary service)

Prompt reinstatement back into your job

Accumulation of seniority, including pension plan benefits

Reinstatement of health insurance, regardless of pre-existing conditions

Training or retraining of job skills, including accommodations for disabled

Protection against discrimination

What rights protect a reservist's employment?

Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), Title 38, Chapter 43, United States Code

Does the 315th Airlift Wing have any programs to assist family members of military personnel?

The 315th Airlift Wing at Joint Base Charleston has a full-time Family Readiness Support Center.  The center is available to assist military dependents, regardless of branch of service. The phone number to the center is (843) 963-5818.

Where can I request records pertaining to the 315th Airlift Wing?

The Air Force website for the Freedom of Information act is

How do I contact your recruiting office?

315th Air Force Reserve Recruiting


218 North Bates Street, Building 51, Room 163
Charleston AFB, SC 29404


(843) 963-5364

Who do I need to contact to fly space available?

Contact the AMC Passenger Terminal at Joint Base Charleston.

It is open from 0500 to 2300 hours daily.

Phone (843) 963-3083/3048
DSN 673-3083/3048
Fax (843) 963-2396 DSN 673-2396

AMC Space A Travel site

I am interested in having a speaker from the 315th Airlift Wing visit my civic group. Is this possible?

The 315th Airlift Wing has a very active speakers bureau which provides speakers and special programs to civic and community organizations. Individuals interested in having a member of the 315th Airlift Wing provide a special program for their civic group should contact the 315th Airlift Wing Public Affairs Office at (843) 963-2036 or via email at

How can I have humanitarian supplies shipped overseas?

Use the Denton Program.  It is a Department of Defense (DOD) logistics program that transports State Department/US Agency for International Development (US AID) approved, privately donated humanitarian cargo worldwide by land, sea and air on a space-available basis within the Defense Transportation System (DTS).

Traditionally, it is a program that has been used for moving humanitarian cargo in support of on-going relief and development projects. The Denton Program is not designed for humanitarian assistance in response to a disaster or emergency situation. As a general guideline, it is a program well suited for cargo that is not time sensitive.

DOD's legislative authority to provide humanitarian assistance is derived from the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961. One of the provisions of this act is the Denton Amendment (Section 402 of Title 10, US Code--10 USC 42). Passed in 1985, it allows the Secretary of Defense (SECDEF) to transport, to foreign countries, without charge, supplies furnished by non-governmental organizations (NGO's) intended for humanitarian assistance. Movement is restricted by the Defense Transportation Regulation (DoD 4500.9-R) to a space available basis.

I am interested in obtaining military aircraft for a civilian airshow. What do I need to do?

For information on obtaining military aircraft for civilian airshows or other community events, please visit the USAF Aerial Events Support web site at:

Follow US

315th AW Facebook 315th AW on  Instagram 315th AW on Twitter 315th AW on YouTube Dvids Behind the Wing Podcast

Helpful Links